Thursday, February 14, 2008

Interview with Juan Goytisolo

Peter Bush interviews Spanish novelist Juan Goytisolo.
My family was destroyed. My mother was killed. I was a child of the war, as I describe in Forbidden Territory, a war followed by more than thirty years of General Franco's dictatorship. By the age of eighteen I had decided to abandon a Spain where I knew work such as my novel Fiestas would never be published. Although I was part of a group of young writers opposed to the regime, I still found that writing critically of the regime meant you wrote with the censor looking over your shoulder. Spain was asphyxiating, and I was asphyxiated: From 1962 to 1976, none of my writing came out in Spain.
Read More


AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Please visit SPLALit aStore

No comments:

Post a Comment