Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Pedro Almodóvar: Culture Against Impunity

"My name is Virgilio Leret Ruiz, aviator, head of the aerial forces of Western Morocco. I refused to support the upheaval of soldiers in Melilla and at dawn on July 18 1936, my colleagues made me the first person to be executed during the Civil War. I had no trial, no lawyer and no sentence. My daughters continue to look for me. For how long?".

Spanish director Pedro Almodóvar stepped into the shoes of one of the victims of executions during the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939), one of 15 people "2assassinated in an arbitrary and unjust manner" to whom an equal number of Spanish intellectuals and artists have dedicated a video "against the impunity of Franco's regime".
Pedro Almodóvar, Maribel Verdú, Hugo Silva, Juan José Millás, Carmen Machi, Juan Diego Botto, José Manuel Seda, María Galiana, Aitana Sánchez-Gijón, Miguel Ríos, Pilar Bardem, Almudena Grandes, Juan Diego, Paco León and Javier Bardem play the 15 characters in this this short film, that tells the story of 15 real people murdered during the Spanish during the Civil War and the dictatorship, whose families still wait for justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment