Thursday, February 09, 2006

Interview with Alberto Fuguet

Alberto Fuguet talks about "The Movies of My Life"

The Movies of My Life uses a number of different genres -- emails, phone conversations, movie reviews/memories -- to transmit the personal history of Beltrán Soler. Why did you decide to tell the story of one man's life using these different media?

I guess that's just the way things are these days. In order to reflect the way people communicate today, one must use various forms of verbal and written communication. It's how we're wired.

I was also trying to imagine how Manuel Puig, the first "postmodern" and anti-magical realist of Latin American literature would have done it. Third-world countries are, by the way, even more media-dominated, and media-saturated, than the countries that invented those technologies. I wanted to show what life is like in Chile, how people empathize with one another, and how this, I think, is also very universal.


You can find the full interview here

Find Alberto Fuguet's Books at Amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment